“Freedom from fear could be said to sum up the entire philosophy of human rights.”
Dag Hammerskold (Swedish diplomat 1905-1961)
How does this relate to you, our class, our school or the world?
What are you afraid of?
What are human rights?
Origins of human rights worth thinking about:
- Cyrus’ Cylinder
- Ashoka the Great
- Magna Carta
- Declaration of Independence
- Declaration of the Rights of Man
- Mohatma Gandhi
- United Nations
- Martin Luther King Jr.
- Nelson Mandela
What is the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UNDHR)?
Your task today:
- Choose two (2) of the 30 articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and write a blog explaining why it is important to you, our class, our school, or the world. Tag this blog #tgsundhr
Your task for the Graphic Novels for Change IDU:
- Choose a human rights violation happening in the world today.
- Highlight which Article(s) of the UNDHR it is violating
- Conduct detailed research to uncover a personal narrative
- Create a graphic novel that evokes emotion to share this narrative
- Provide some opportunity for your readers to act on this human rights violation.
Proposals will be due on Monday of next week!